ISH 2014 35th World Congress ,Beijing - China
Report of the ISH Chair-of-Council
The Chinese Society of Hematology (CSH) hosted the ISH 2014 World Congress held on September 4-5, 2014 in Beijing, China. The president of congress was Prof. Xiaojun Huang, Co-Chairs were Prof. Changgeng Ruan Chan.
Prof.Kaiyan Liu served as the secretary-general. The congress started with the presidental symposium. The presentation by Prof. Zhu Chen who followed by Jacob Rowe who reviewed the role of stem cell transplantation in AML. Ruben Mesa presented state-of-the art knowledge in myeloproliferative neoplasms.
The meeting also included various presentations on acute leukemias, lymphomas, CLL, CML, Multiple myeloma, coagulation and platelet disorders.
The oral and poster sessions were well-attented.
ISH 2014 Beiging Congress was very successful, well-organized and balanced scientific program in basic sciences and clinical hematology.
The venue was beautiful nearby Beijing Olympic Garden with spectacular “Birds Net Stadium” and “Aquarium waterspors center.
There were 1400 attendees from 34 countries. Total of 400 Abstracts were submitted to the meeting.
As a newly elected ISH Chair-of-Council I envision the future of the Society as a strong source of global education in hematology embracing all the countries in five continents. ISH is the only and oldest world hematology organization established by the national hematology societies, in 1946. ISH always has the strongest committment to serve, educate and bring up-to-date knowledge as well as experience and collaborations with Professional societies, like ASH, ICSH, ISTH and ISEH.
As a Chair-of-Council, I am planning to servet he society with the following major tasks :
- To have an updated, improved and active membership roster,
- To create and build up an interactive, up-to-date and
- To establish scientific working groups dealing with specified issues including ethics,
- To establish a code of anduct for science ethics
- The bi-annual congresses to be the venue where all hematology researchers, basic and clinical, wish to present their latest findings, where hematologists in general practice can get updated, and inspired from the very best courses and lecturers.
- To establish training courses, educational meetings between the biannual congresses. These training courses can be a joint activity and incorporated with the national hematology meetings in several countries. These courses will be aimed to enhance the training and proffessional development of junior as well as senior hematologists, particularly in Africa, far east and eastern Europe and Latin America.
- To improve our fiscal responsibilities and having beter financial status.
- To improve our communication with ISH members, utiliziner beter interactive Web-site and to have efficient bridging with stronger bonds with other related societies.
We are looking forward to see you all, in ISH 2016 World Congress, in Glasgow, U.K on April 14-18, 2016 (www.ish2016.com).
Emin Kansu, M.D., FACP